The rise of e-commerce has not spared even the knitting community. This means that if local yarn retailers want to remain relevant and competitive, they need to do more than just fill their stores with yarns. They need to create an online presence, update their website, and promote a community of knitters offline.
From commercial yarns to hand-dyed international yarns, the online knitting community thrived in social online platforms such as Ravelry and Instagram as well as in indie dyers’ websites, big yarn retail websites, and other online yarn stores. With just a few clicks, you can easily get popular yarns from overseas.
A good number of indie yarn dyers and online wool sellers also offer special small batch or hand-dyed yarns via online shops — something local yarn retailers can hardly match. So if you’re itching to find your next set of yarn and pattern, check out these online yarn stores.
Online Yarn Stores
1. Darn Good Yarn: This yarn store on the web features a simple website that is easy to navigate. Offering a variety of yarns and supplies for knitting that you would expect from a yarn store, they also sell clothes and accessories like jewelry, purses and bags, scarves and more. Their unique feature is the $10 yarn club, a monthly subscription that gets you a skein of premium yarn, a knit or crochet pattern and a mystery gift.
2. Fabulous Yarn: Search easily by the brand of yarn, type of fiber or weight on this thorough source for all things yarn and knitting related. Look for knitting extras like great bags for all your knitting needs, a range of needles in various materials like wood or metal as well as their custom Zen needles, and even spinning wheels on this source for all things yarn and knitting related.
3. Love Knitting: Find books and videos about knitting, varieties of yarns in all fibers and colors from many different brands, as well as patterns, tools, and a helpful blog full of knitting info on this yarn website. Deals include free shipping over $60 on select yarns and 20 percent off orders of $100 or more.
4. Knit Picks: Enjoy search options to easily find yarn in the color, weight or fiber you need for a project, or just browse this online yarn store for a thorough selection of knitting accessories like books and videos, needles, and tools to help with your knitting projects. Offering free shipping in the US on orders over $50 and monthly sales deals, Knit Picks has all you need for creating knit perfection.
5. Yarnspirations: With links to selected boutiques specializing in knitting related goods, this yarn store features patterns divided out by knitting, crochet, and craft projects. Selections of yarns are focused on products from their partner boutiques, including Patons, Lily Sugar N’ Cream, Caron, Bernat and others, leading some to find the breadth of selections here more limited than other yarn stores online. The website promises free shipping on orders over $60, a 45-day return policy and a quality guarantee of satisfaction.